Rest. Do we even know the meaning of the word anymore? It seems like an archaic thing of the past and definitely not a part of our daily living. We are constantly blowing and going through life, waving at each other as we pass on the street. That's just a sign of the times. Our schedules are crammed full of obligations. Some important. Some not. But all are time-consuming.
You guys know that I've been asking for prayer for my work schedule since all of this stuff came about. And, you know that God is a God of the details. We've seen Him work things out in record time. Things that seem inconsequential, even.
I haven't been able to just broadcast all of my plans and thoughts for work on my blog, because you know that you have to go through the proper channels before you announce what's running through your brain. But, you've been praying me through it, and now I can tell you how the Lord has, once again, shown up in a huge way. My heart just loves Him so. His care for me is perfect and evident. And, because of that, I can't help but completely trust Him with Brian and me.
Since this diagnosis came, Brian was adamant that I take some time off to rest and refresh. My job is wonderful, and I love it, but it is very stressful. My husband is unlike any other. His constant care of me is remarkable. He has upheld me, protected me, loved me, prayed over me, and literally saved my life. He is Christ to me. And, all the while, He's a master in the workplace. I praise God for the way that He's equipped Brian and gifted him to handle these trials. I often wish that I could just switch the focus from me to him and say, "Look, without that man, I'd be curled up in a ball in the corner crying my eyes out. He's the one pushing me along. He's the strength in this thing." Cause, that's the truth. I love him with my whole heart.
Anyway, Brian and I came to the agreement that time off was a necessity for me. But, we also knew that insurance consistency was a necessity for me. And, we weren't sure what my options were.
On Monday morning, my wonderful principal took it upon herself to help me through the process. I'm so thankful for her. She's blessed my heart and taken care of me in a big, big way. She drove me to the HR department, and we were able to work it out so that I can work for the remainder of this week and next week, and then I'll be taking an indefinite leave of absence in January. And, my insurance will continue. Praise God, for He's knocked it out of the park, again!
In the Bible it says, "Then Jesus said, 'Let's go off by ourselves to a quiet place and rest awhile." -Matt. 6:31a (NLT). I came across this verse last week, and I knew that the Lord was calling me to retreat, to take some time for me and Him, to refresh my body. I knew that He had orchestrated it, so that we could manage without my salary. It might be tight, but what's a little tightness in the grand scheme of this process of surrender? I'm speechless because of His power.
Will you just praise the Lord with me because of His obvious fingerprints on our life?
1. A year ago He provided a house through a foreclosure that we would be able to sell. If it had been a traditional purchase, there is no way this would've worked out so cleanly. That's Him at work!
2. This year, He provided a job for me that wasn't a traditional classroom setting. I didn't apply for it, He just up and gave it to me. If I was in a classroom with children, this process would be much more complicated. That's Him!
3. In October, He provided a job for Brian that was in town (not an hour commute) with benefits. That means that my husband is local and can carry me on his insurance. That's Him!
4. In October, He gave me the opportunity to stand up publicly at church and proclaim His goodness in ALL things. I stand by that goodness. That's Him!
5. On November 22, He allowed me to have seizures to signal a tumor before it grew any larger. It was small, y'all. Very small. And, there was only one. Thank you, God, for those seizures! That's Him!
6. He allowed the seizures to occur when we had time off. The hospitalization and surgery didn't affect our work schedules. That's Him!
7. He sold our cars within 12 hours of asking Him to do so, so that we could only have one car payment. That's Him!
8. He sold our house within 24 hours of asking Him to do so, so that we could move into town and lower our housing expenses. That's Him!
9. Josh and Lauren have had their house on the market for 8 months. Their house is precious and wonderful, and we kept saying, "Why won't it sell????" I'll tell you why, God was going to use it as a home for the 4 of us. That's Him!
10. He provided a wonderful home for Wally within 24 hours of asking Him to do so. We don't have to worry about Him receiving the very best care. He'll have better care than we could even give him. That's Him!
11. He provided an opportunity for me to take a leave of absence, while still maintainig my insurance. That's huge! That's Him!
12. He's provided people from all over His creation to care for us - pray over us, pack us, move us, feed us, give to us.... That's Him!
So, please trust Him with your life today. Trust that He's got every detail under His perfect control. Trust that you can bring your specific requests before Him, because "the prayer of a righteous person is powerful and effective" (James 5:16).